Building Relationships: Facilitating Decolonization
A day of learning with women facilitators at Kitigan Zibi, Algonquin First Nation community located near Maniwaki, Quebec
Friday September 28th, 10am – 5pm
Together we will:
- deepen our understanding of Algonquin people, their history, their culture, their land
- build relationships based on our experiences of colonization as Indigenous, immigrant, racialized and white people
- identify ways we can address colonization as facilitators and community builders in Ottawa
Resource People: Algonquin Elder Claudette Commanda; Elena Abel, Ottawa Aboriginal Coalition – Community Developer; community members of Kitigan Zibi; Manvitha Singamsetty, CAWI.
Sponsored by Ottawa Righting Relations Circle, coordinated by City for All Women Initiative.
Righting Relations Ottawa Circle Presents:
White Allyship Toolkit, May 24, 2018
Hiring a Central Hub Coordinator for Righting Relations!
Working for Change in support of the Righting Relations: Strengthening Adult Education for Social Change, a women-led initiative in partnership with the Catherine Donnelly Foundation is seeking a Central Hub Coordinator. The purpose of Righting Relations is to strengthen the capacity of adult educators and adult education to bring about radical social change through political and economic literacy for a just society in Canada.
This is a one-year contract opportunity for a dynamic, creative and skilled person interested in coordinating and advancing regional development on behalf of a national adult education program for social change.
The Central Hub Coordinator manages and administers the Central Hub of the Righting Relations program and facilitates the various working groups/circles associated (and emerging) within the Hub: including program facilitation and implementation, coordination and administration, as well as communications and public relations.
- Successful candidates have three to five years relevant experience within the adult education/popular education field;
- Experience in facilitating adult education process from a systemic approach;
- Awareness of immigrants/refugee exclusion (comprehensive knowledge of the settlement sector);
- An anti-oppression perspective and inclusionary approach;
- Demonstrated experience of engagement in social concerns;
- Experience in exploring and/or working with Indigenous communities (theoretical and practical)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability in strategic/organizational and participatory planning;
- Knowledgeable of the computer programs for word processing, accounting and spreadsheets, email, internet;
- Ability to use key social media, and an understanding of its importance;
The Central Hub Coordinator is a part-time, one-year contract with flexible hours. It is anticipated that this would be a 21 hours per week commitment.
*Preference is given to candidates within a reasonable commute to Toronto, Ontario.
Closing date: February 20th, 2018
Please submit resume, a letter describing interest in the contract, and the contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on Righting Relations visit www.rightingrelations.org
Please no phone calls. Working for Change and the Righting Relations Steering Committee would like to thank all who apply; however, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Online National Circle Feb 7th, 12-1pm EST
Art by Ernesto Yerena
We will share practical facilitation tools we use with the communities we work with to explore political and economic systems and how we can change them, with a focus on working with marginalized communities in Canada.
To register, please email email@example.com
Hosted by City for All Women Initiative (CAWI), we will gather in plenary, in table discussions and workshops to explore approaches to facilitation that promote equity addressing colonialism, racism and Islamophobia. We will be invited to consider our own strengths and areas to grow in this work, and explore how to we can continue to support each other in facilitation for inclusion.
HAVE AN EVENT?
Post it here.
Send us the details, including the date, time and location. Include an image, if you have one.